The 2014 GA Organizing Committee wishes to thank all of those who have signed up to help at our June event. Our volunteer roster is now complete and all positions have been filled. We will be reaching out to all volunteers in the next few weeks with further details on your involvement.
Paul Schumacher and Mark Bohlman
Co-Chairs 2014 GA Committee
May 4, 2014
The 2014 General Assembly is coming up quickly in late June, and our organizing committee needs your help! Ideally, they would like to see every member of Victoria Centre contribute to the success of this event. Not only are we hosting our fellow astronomers from across Canada, we are also celebrating the 100th anniversary of Victoria Centre!
Job Descriptions – Additional Volunteers Needed (26 positions)
April 8, 2014
CHAIRPERSON COMMITTEE – Reports to Paul Schumacher and Mark Bohlman ( 6 positions open)
First Aid Personnel (2 needed)
- Assists deals with any emergency that may come up (one present each day) and notifies UVic emergency services personnel of any incidents per UVic emergency protocol (June 26,27,28,29)
UVic Telescope Chaperones (1)
- Works with UVic student telescope to meet, greet and chaperone delegates up to the Wright Centre rooftop and help/ participate in evening viewing at UVic rooftop scope for 3 nights during GA 9 p.m. to 11 p.m.(Fri. June 27, Sat. June 28, Sun, June 29)
Photographers / Videographers (3)
- Members to record events of all GA activities (June 26,27,28,29) by day or by shift
HOSPITALITY COMMITTEE Reports to Deb Crawford (8 positions open)
Catering/Meals Quality Assurance Person ( 1 needed)
- Liaison with UVic Catering on behalf of RASC during GA for seamless set-up and of all catering events including banquet. (June 26,27,28,29)
Meeting Room Quality Assurance Person (1 needed)
- Liaison with UVic and RASC during GA to see that all meeting rooms (including banquet space) are set up correctly prior to room meeting/events and no issues arise during meetings/events. (June 26,27,28,29)
Tours Chaperones (4 needed)
- Attends or drives to and from tour event and makes sure all tours during the GA go as planned without a hitch: Whale Watching, Butchart Gardens, Maritime Museum, Historic Tour (June 27,28,29)
- Assists Deb with head counts, preplanning and vendor liaison
- Coordinates with Transportation Committee for drivers where needed
Welcome BBQ VCO MICs (2 needed)
- MIC’s during Open House part of welcome evening BBQ- meet and greet delegates who would like to inspect the VCO facility (Thursday June 26th)
TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE – Reports to Charles Banville (10 positions open)
Drivers (10 needed)
- Drives guests to and from airport, bus terminal, ferries(June 25,26,27,30) or DAO BBQ (June 26) or Tours. (June 27,28, 29)
- Drivers will be reimbursed for their gas mileage for driving delegates to and from lodging to arrival/departure location and Tour pick-up drop-off points.
PAPERS COMMITTEE– Reports to Lauri Roche (2 positions open)
Paper Session Timekeepers (2 needed)
- Assists Lauri with timekeeping of paper session presenters during Saturday June 28th all day sessions.
4 Responses to “Volunteer roster is now full for 2014 General Assembly!”
I have level 2 First Aid and have been a first aid attendant at work for the last 7 years. I’m available for Friday and Saturday night. I’m a resident of Shawnigan Lake.
Hello Paul and Mark,
I would be happy to volunteer as a First Aid person for the General Assembly, and can be available June 26th, 27th, 29th, and 30th.
Looking forward to it,
Hello, would love to help participate and volunteer as the Telescope Chaperone, of the position has not been filled yet! If so, then would also be able to photograph the event.
I will be happy to take picture to record events.